Back to All Events

Llanrumney Utd 0-1 Clwb Cymric


Hawliodd Cymric eu lle yn rownd wyth olaf Cwpan W John Owen gyda buddugoliaeth galed ond gyfforddus yn erbyn Llanrumney Utd.

Mewn gêm ddarbi danllyd roedd y tîm cartref yn benderfynol o rwystro Cymric rhag chwarae eu gêm arferol.

Wedi i'r ymwelwyr fethu llwyth o gyfleoedd i fynd ar y blaen, yr amddiffynnwr Rhodri 'Vince' Williams sgoriodd unig gôl y gêm gyda chwarter awr yn weddill.

Hon oedd trydedd fuddugoliaeth Cymric o'r bron, a'r trydedd 'clean sheet' yn olynol.

Seren y gêm - 'Vince'


Cymric booked their place in the quarter final of the W John Owen Cup with a hard fought but comfortable victory at lower league Llanrumney United.

Cymric completely dominated the first half and were guilty of missing several good chances to open the scoring. Tom Pritchard had two far post headed efforts that were off the mark from 6 yards and Tom Davies, Dylan Rees and Osian Pritchard had efforts either saved by the goalkeeper or blocked by a determined Llanrumney defence.

Llanrumney themselves had some sorties forward but had no real efforts of note and Dylan Evans, Cymric’s stand-in keeper for the day, didn’t have much to do.

There was a contentious incident that happened mid-way through the first half when a Llanrumney player deliberately stamped on Aled Hughes’ leg after the ball had gone and the referee, who clearly saw the incident, cautioned him, to the amazement of all the Cymric players who felt that it was a red card offence. The teams went in level at the break.

Cymric started the second half in the same manner as the first as they took control of the game immediately. They tried to play their passing game on a difficult pitch and had some success in getting forward and created a number of chances.

Tom Davies, Dylan Rees and Tom Pritchard were guilty of squandering excellent chances when they were in one-on-one with the goal keeper but the keeper did well to save them all.

Llanrumney thought they’d taken the lead mid-way through the second half when they claimed that a headed effort went over the line from a corner but the referee waved play on and Cymric cleared. Another contentious incident happened after 75 minutes when Tom Davies found a way through the Llanrumney defence only to be brought down on the edge of the box with the goal at his mercy. The guilty Llanrumney player started to walk off when the referee went to his pocket to show what he, and all around, thought would be a red card but to everyone’s disbelief the referee cautioned the player instead.

Cymric also struck the crossbar twice and had numerous efforts in the box blocked by Llanrumney who bravely threw their bodies in front of the ball. Eventually, Cymric’s dominance paid off and the excellent Llanrumney keeper was beaten at last.

Llanrumney partially cleared a Cymric corner but the ball was played through to Rhodri Williams, who was up for the corner from the back, and he coolly controlled the ball, turned and finished excellently past the keeper.

MOTM - Rhodri 'Vince' Williams

Earlier Event: January 5
Treforest 0-1 Clwb Cymric
Later Event: February 17
Garw SBGC 3-0 Clwb Cymric